By Michael Marrone
LARGO, MD -- Cecil College breezed past Frederick Community College 79-57 to reach the semi-finals of the Maryland JUCO Conference Women's Basketball Tournament, hosted by Prince George's Community College.
After Frederick started the game up 5-1, Cecil went on runs of 7-0, 13-2 and 12-3 to take and maintain control.
The Seahawks dominated in the paint outscoring, outscoring the Cougars 56-18.
Cecil also dominated the boards, outrebounding the Cougars 60-37.
Seahawks Briana McAllister (10 points, 15 rebounds) and Chyna Steele (13 points, 15 rebounds) each had double-doubles, combining for 30 rebounds.
Tiana Garvin was the Seahawks leading scorer as she put up 18 points off the bench.
"My team came out, played with intensity, they made defense first, and the offense came to work and hustled," said Seahawks head coach Bill Dockery. "The turning point was when we started getting fast breaks and finishing at the line."
Dajah Gee was the bright spot for the Cougars, finishing with 27 points on 9-of-20 from the field and hit seven threes.
Cecil moves on to play the number one seeded Fighting Owls of Harford in the semifinals on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Frederick opened up on a 5-1 run in the first few minutes, then Cecil went on a 17-0 run in a span of 3:15 thanks to finishing fast breaks and creating turnovers.
- Cecil opened up the second on a 6-1 run, then had another 13-2 run midway through the quarter
- Frederick ended the half on a 7-2 run
- Cecil outscored Frederick in the paint 30-8 by the end of the half
- Halftime: Frederick 28 Cecil 44
- Dajah Gee of Frederick has 22 points and nine rebounds through three quarters on 7-16 shooting and 6-10 from three point land.
- Frederick ends quarter on 6-0 run to narrow the deficit.
- End of third: Frederick 45 Cecil 59
Cecil opens quarter with a 12-3 run in the first 3:24 minutes; controls the game down the stretch.